Interesting Pages You should look at

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Diaper cake

Last time I was at HEB, in the floral department, I saw this really cute diaper cake.  So unique, so practical, so darling.  It can't be that hard to make.  I consider myself pretty crafty, I must be able to figure it out.  After a few searches on you tube (links included) I bought 2 packs of size 2 diapers, 3 packs of wipes and a few bottles of smelly good baby bath products (shampoo, wash, powder, etc).  
 
 
 
 
 
 First, get 3 'cake pans' of graduated sizes.  Since I do not have these I made do with a steamer pot, double boiler (bottom) and spring form pan. 

 



 
Start putting the diapers in, in a circle with the open end being the end to be hidden. 
 
 



Start out loose, it is easier to add more toward the end.  Circle all the way around the pan, keeping the closed end of the diaper at the edge of the pan.  Some of the you tube tutorials put a tube or product in the middle - as a surprise for mom or baby.



When the pan is full, make sure the diapers are evenly spaces (for aesthetics)







This pan was a little deep, so I had to pull the diapers up a tad




Tie a string or use a rubber band around the diapers - this is just to hold them together.  I would use a white string, just to hide it better.



Then pull it out of the pan.  Trim the string and repeat with the other pans.

I only did 3 tiers, but that is was not a whole 2 packs of diapers.


Next, start to decorate.  I used a blue ribbon since this is for a boy.  Do not glue anything to the diapers - it could ruin the diaper and make it unusable.  So, to put the ribbon on, I tucked it in to the string.  Hot glue the ribbon tightly to itself (not to the diaper) to keep the diapers secured.

Now it is time to decorate!  The actual cake part was SOOO much easier than I thought it would be.
I wanted to work in the wipes in some way.  This was an idea.  I did not like it.

Since I had some diapers left over, I layered them around the wipes in a similar fashion to the other 3 tiers - this 'hid' the wipes and looks SO much better.




We used cake toppers and baby products to decorate.  All items are glued to the ribbon only.  The base is a piece of foam board covered in felt - homemade felt board.  I like everything to be multi-purposeful. 



This is the final product - just waiting for my friends baby shower on Saturday :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment