Interesting Pages You should look at

Saturday, June 14, 2014

Bean Burritos

I really do NOT like refried beans.  I love Mexican food, but not refried beans.  I suppose it's because I know how much fat is in there.  That, and when you open a can it is full of squishy dog food looking, rotten smelling, stuff that barely resembles beans.

Well, I made a batch for a potluck I was going to.  I say I made them, but really I opened a few cans and heated up the mess inside.  I could barely handle the smell.

My thought - If I don't like this stuff, then why am I bringing it?  I did an internet search and found a lot of ideas.  I had already been to the store 2 times today and I was NOT going to go back a third time.  Besides, I only had an hour left before I had to leave.  I had to make do with what was on hand.

What I ended up doing was this:

In a crock pot mix 2 cans refried beans
1-2 cups velveeta cheese
1/2 can rotel
2 packets taco seasoning
1/2 cup diced onion

They didn't taste too bad.  Not my favorite, but definitely a TON better than what came out of the can.  Now, what do I do with the left overs?  There's not a lot, but enough that I really don't want to be wasteful.

My oldest daughter has a thing for burritos right now.  I simply put that brown mess on a tortilla, add a few sides, and call it dinner.  I love quick dinners!

This won't be my go to on a busy night, but now I know what to do with the 3 cans of refried beans in the pantry.

No comments:

Post a Comment