Interesting Pages You should look at

Monday, June 30, 2014

Homemade ice pack

With active, accident prone children, we use a lot of ice packs.  Lunch, sprained ankles, snacks, sprained fingers, sports injuries, bumps to the head.....  You get the point.  You can never have too many ice packs.  I tied frozen peas - once.  They got lost under a bed.  Never again.

Ice packs are expensive.  Then they break and that chemical stuff is all over your child, the bed, the sofa, the lunch....  Ewww

I saw this on Pinterest and decided to give it a try.

What you need:

Portion size zip lock bags (or jewelry bags will work, look by the beads at Walmart.)
Sponges
Sandwich size zip locks

Make sure your bags are good quality


The photo has a bottle of alcohol because the original post said to use it.  I did for a few bags, but when the first one leaked (in a lunch box) and made my daughters apple taste like alcohol, I have never used it again.  I have had no regrets not using it either.








Simply put the sponge in the small 'portion size' bag and fill with water







Just for leaking purposes, I also put it in a larger bag.




Now put them in the freezer. I love these.  They stay cold for the same amount of time as a 'regular' ice pack, they are soft as soon as they defrost a bit, and they are colorful.

If ever I need a sponge, there is one in the freezer.  No waste!  This is a great way to stock up on sponges :)



UPDATE:

All ice packs make a mess.  It's usually condensation.  The biggest (and only) downfall I have seen from these is that the baggie leaks after a while.  My solution:


Yup.  Duct tape.  It fixes everything.  I still double bag as well.  Not using alcohol, I don't worry about leaks - it's just water.  No chemicals from a store bought ice pack.  I have been very thankful to have these on hand.  More than once.  I can freely hand one of these to a child who has been injured and not worry about getting my expensive ice pack back.  I will continue to make these!

1 comment:

  1. Your work is very good and I appreciate you and hopping for some more informative posts. Thank you for sharing great information to us. knee ice pack

    ReplyDelete