Interesting Pages You should look at

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Abcs on the floor

During the summer, we had a little foster boy who was learning his ABC's.  It has been a long time since I taught the alphabet to a child.  After all, my youngest is 10.  However, I had a blast coming up with ways to occupy him during school time, and teach him at the same time.

One evening, I grabbed some painters tape (just because it was available, and I knew it would not leave a nasty residue on my floor) and started making letters on the floor.  This is not my favorite flooring because it scratches easily, is very slippery, and shows dirt easily; however, it comes in handy for many crafts and activities. 


We had not learned all the letters, so to keep from overwhelming him, I only did the letters we had already been reviewing.


There were several games that we played with these letters.

1 - Find the (J)!  He would go run to that letter and jump on it until I saw that he had found the correct letter.

2 - Race car - Using a hot wheel type car I would say "The car needs gas, go to the 'Y' for gas".

3 - Beat the timer - after reviewing the same letters for a month, I would say "find the 'T' 5, 4, 3, 2, 1!  If he found the proper letter before '1' he got a reward (high 5, sticker, hug...)

What are some other ways to use these letters?  We lost that little boy after about six weeks, but I love keeping ideas in my tool belt :)

No comments:

Post a Comment